LEWES, De - The Cool Spring Presbyterian Congregation was established in 1776, fifty years before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The original church was located 8 miles from downtown Lewes and was named for a nearby river branch the runs along the northwest edge of the property.
The building was described as having a red exterior with two front doors and a gallery, while the adjoining cemetery features the graves of many prominent citizens including several Revolutionary War veterans and a member of the Continental Congress. In September 1787 the church became incorporated by the Delaware General Assembly. The current structure on the church property was built in 1854 and dedicated on January 14th 1855. It was named to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1982. The Marker the stands on Log Cabin Rd was erected in 2014 becoming the 240th in Sussex County.